Monday, October 14, 2013

Perm rods and Joy

I never thought I would enjoy perms as much as I do until I began to work with the elderly. Perms are a long process which can turn out to be tedious depending on the person. When I was in beauty school, I never imagined I'd ever need to know how to do a perm let alone a shampoo set. They seemed to be a thing of the past.

Well I started working for a beauty shop within a society that serves the elderly. The position I have secured is within the memory care unit where there is a ratio of one caregiver to four residents and eight residents per house. It's a lovely setup. These resdients have one form of dementia or another and so working with them can be a real challenge at times.

The key I have learned is to find the humor in whatever situation is presented to you. Sometimes, it really is hard to not take what was said to you personally. You have to realize the disease is not allowing them control over what they say or do. This being said, some days are difficult while other days are just plain entertaining. 

My job combines my love for doing hair with my love for working for the elderly. My job is to be in the moement that they are in at that moment.  If I can do that, I have done my job, brought them joy and made them beautiful.

My last lady for today was singing in the mirror, "what a beautiful girl". It brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my lips that I gave her such joy just by giving her a vintage hairstyle (as I have lovingly come to know it as). I felt fulfilled by her joy and that is enough of a reward.

Blessings,

Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment